Thursday, November 13, 2008

HUMILITY

Humility is a rare quality today in our ego charged marketplace where it is all too easy to be caught on the competitive treadmill of outmaneuvering and impressing the other guy. As business and professionals, it behooves us to keep in mind God’s call to a life of humility, and to heed his severe warning against pride:

“This is what the high and lofty One says-- ‘I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.’” "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble…” (Isa. 57:15; Jms. 4:6)

Here are a few suggestions to help us deal with our pride and grow toward a life of humility:

Humble yourself and acknowledge your sinfulness before God: "’Woe to me!’ I cried. ‘I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.’" (Isa. 6:5) (See Ex.10:3; Pro. 29:23; Matt. 18:3,4; Lk. 14:11; 18:14; Jms. 4:7,10; 1 Pet. 5:6)

Give God the credit for any success that has come your way: “…Remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth…” (Deut 8:18b) (See Deut. 8:10-20; Pro. 10:22; Isa. 5:21; Gal. 6:14)

Choose to have a sane, rather than inflated estimate of yourself. (Rms. 12:3,6; 1 Cor. 4:7)

Pray for unity: "My prayer is…that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you….May they be brought to complete unity…” (Jn. 17:20-23 – Selected)
Do nothing out of selfish pride. “My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me…Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up….” (Psa. 131:1; I Cor. 8:1b;) (See Deut. 8:10-20; Psa. 75:6,7; Jer. 45:5; Act. 5:1-11; Matt. 18:1-4; Mk. 9:35)

Focus the spotlight on others, considering them better than yourself: “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” (Phil. 2:3,4)

Engage in humble tasks of service. (Jn. 13:1-17)

Associate with humble people, eschewing the social climber syndrome: “Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty (snobbish, high-minded, exclusive), but readily adjust yourself to [people, things] and give yourselves to humble tasks. Never overestimate yourself or be wise in your own conceits.” (Rms. 12:16 Amp) (See Matt. 18:4; 1 Cor. 1:10)

Choose flexibility over rigidity. Flexibility is humbly deferring to others. Rigidity is proudly demanding my rights; my way. (Gen. 13:5-18; I Cor. 9:19-23)

Choose servanthood over authoritarianism: “Jesus called them together and said, ‘You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.’" (Mk. 10:42-25) (See I Pet. 5:3)

PRAYER: “Lord, I confess my inclination of pride over humility. In this moment I humble myself in beseeching you to root from my heart that insidious arrogance that cools my heart toward you and hinders the free flow of the Holy Spirit in loving and ministering to others through me. Amen.”

My prayer is that you are having a great week! R. Dwight Hill

Facts of the Matter © 2000 - 2008 R. Dwight Hill - www.factsofthematter.org - Unlimited permission to copy without altering text or profiteering is hereby granted subject to inclusion of this copyright notice.

No comments: