Tuesday, May 19, 2009

“GOD IS HIS OWN INTERPRETER AND HE WILL MAKE IT PLAIN”

Do you ever struggle with depression? Man, I certainly do from time to time. Often without warning, it seems, I will find myself in a funk. It is then that my mind races back and forth, searching for the cause of the depression. Rather than allow myself to sink into the quagmire of morose introspection, I will usually pray through Psalm 139:23-24, asking the Holy Spirit to reveal any sin that may be the cause: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

This morning, in dealing with one of these periodic struggles, I meditated and prayed my way through Psalm 55. I was impressed with the psalmist’s struggle and need for God’s touch: “Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea; hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught… My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death assail me. Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me.” (vs. 1, 2, 4, 5) Surely, at times we can identify with his desire to escape: "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest-- I would flee far away and stay in the desert; I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm" (vs. Psalms 55:6-8).

As I pondered this wonderful Psalm, I found myself praising Him for the assurance offered in David’s prayer, “I call to God, and the Lord saves me…hears me…[and] ransoms me” (vs. Psalms 55:16-18). The cloud lifted and the depression eased, and then disappeared.

As I have studied the lives of outstanding believers, I have found that a significant number of them have had battles with depression. It is interesting to note that it was often out of their tormented struggles that their greatest achievements have been born. One notable example is William Cowper (1731-1800). It was during one of those periods of despair that he penned this marvelous piece:
Deep in unfathomable mines of never-failing skill, He treasures up his bright designs and works His sovereign will.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, but trust Him for his grace; behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour; the bud may have a bitter taste, but sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err and scan his work in vain: God is his own interpreter, and He will make it plain.

Larry Crabb in his book, “Inside Out”, challenges the common belief among believers that they are owed a wonderful, fulfilled, and “happy” existence that is free of turmoil. No, God uses, perhaps even causes pain in our lives to drive us to himself and craft his character in us. John Piper picks up on this concept in stating, “Not surprisingly therefore, suffering fits into God’s design in ways that sometimes baffle us and test us to the limit.” ‘…Don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you’ (I Pet. 4:12). This very baffling and testing is part of the design”: ‘Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything’” (James. 1:2-4). 1

My friend, perhaps you too have your dark moments where there seems to be no way out. God can and will extend his peace and grace to you…if you want him to.
1 The Hidden Smile of God”, Crossway Books, John Piper, pg. 20

My prayer is that you are having a great week!
R. Dwight Hill

No comments: