Tuesday, August 4, 2009

FEAR

FEAR (Alarmed concern, anxiety, apprehension, consternation, dread, fright, panic, terror, timidity, trepidation, unease)

Fear is like back pain: Paralyzing. Immobilizing. Consuming. Certainly it is not God’s idea of how we are to live our lives. Rather, it is God’s intention that we be free from fear: “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand…For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline...I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears…” (Isa.41:10; 2 Tim. 1:7a; Psa. 34:4)

The raw truth about fear is that it is the absence of faith in not believing God:

· [Jesus] said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" (Mk. 4:40)

· “[Jesus] replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” (Matt. 8:26)

· “He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” (Psa. 112:7)

What is it that we fear the most?

* Failure: “I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground…” (Matt. 25:254b) (See Psa. 42:5; Isa. 31:1)
* The future: “He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” (Psa. 112:7)
* People: Isaac lied to Abimelech that his wife was his sister. (Gen 26:1-11) (See Gen. 12:20-20; 20; Pro. 29:25)
* That God is not with us: “O Lord, when you favored me, you made my mountain stand firm; but when you hid your face, I was dismayed.” (Psa. 30:7) (See Psa. 10:1; 13:1; 143:7)

Even some of the best people in the Scriptures stumbled in fear. For example:

* Elijah, after courageously confronting and destroying the prophets of Baal, fearfully runs from Jezebel, who threatens his life. (I Kin. 18:16-19:3)
* Peter boasts that he will lay down his life for Christ and then fearfully denies him. (Jn. 13:37; 18:15-27)

The Enemy of our soul wants us immobilized by fear. God, however, implores us to trust him and be free from fear:

* “Do not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you." (Deu. 3:22)
* “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (Jos.. 1:9) (See Jos.. 1:5-9)

* "Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you." (Isa. 35:4a)
* “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.” (Psa. 46:1,2) (See Jos.. 8:1; Matt. 10:28; Psa. 23:4; 1 Jn. 4:18)
* “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (Jn. 14:27)

May I entreat you to join the company of courageous people who believed God and overcame their fears:

* Peter and John defied the authorities’ prohibition in witnessing for Christ. (See Act. 4:7-13; 5:17-32)
* Paul in facing trial and probable death: "And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem , not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.” (Act. 20:22-24)


My prayer is that you are having a great week!

R. Dwight Hill

No comments: