Wednesday, September 8, 2010

TO WHOM AM I REALLY LOOKING TO MEET MY NEEDS?

"THE FACTS OF THE MATTER"

"A weekly letter of encouragement to business and professional men and women"

September 08, 2010

Good Morning!

TO WHOM AM I REALLY LOOKING TO MEET MY NEEDS?
While working my way through Psalm 16 the other morning, I jotted down a number of questions – kind of a self-evaluation based on the content of this marvelous Psalm.  Join with me in asking a few pertinent questions:
 
Who really is my master?  My emotions?  My circumstances?  My lusts?  My fears?  What others think of me? 

Or God? “I said to the Lord, ‘You are my Master…”  (Vs. 2)  “Lord, at this moment I surrender up to you the incessant noise and confusion of the world that would crowd in upon my inner sanctum.  Today, I choose to make  you the Supreme Master of my every thought and desire. Amen.”  (See Psa. 31:14; 91:2; Isa 26:3, 4; 2 Cor. 10:5)

Whom do I view as my provider?  My frenetic efforts?  My genius?
 
Or God?  “All the good things I have are from you.”  (Vs. 2)  “Lord, forgive me for believing that I am the source of my family’s provision.  Help me to grasp the truth that you alone are the source of all that is good.  Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father…” (Jms. 1:17a) (See Psa. 84:11; Dan. 2:21; Matt. 7:11)
Who are my true heroes?   The powerful?  The rich?  The accomplished? 
 
Or the godly whom God holds in high esteem? “The godly people in the land are my true heroes! I take pleasure in them!...This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.”  (Vs. 3; Isa. 66:2b) (See Psa. 51:17; 138:6; Matt. 5:3; Lk. 18:13, 14; 1 Cor. 1:26-31))
To whom do I look for my fulfillment?  The people who tell me how wonderful I am?  The folks a rung or two up the ladder, whose nod of approval is of paramount importance to me?
Or to God? ”LORD, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing…The land you have given me is a pleasant land. What a wonderful inheritance!” “[God] alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. (Vs. 16:5, 6 – NLT; Psa. 62:6)
Who is it that guides and instructs me?  The power brokers in my business or professional world?  The media?  Pop culture with much of it’s inane, mindless values? 
Or the voice of God, through the Spirit and word of God?  I will bless the LORD who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me…For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God…Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.”  (Vs. 16:7; Rom. 8:14; Psa. 119:105 – NLT)   (See Psa. 73:23, 24)
Wherein does my security lie?  My bank account?  My job?  My family?  My status in the community? 
Or in God alone?  I know the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me...Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.” (Vs.16: 8; 73:25, 26 – NLT)
Where is my primary focus?  On the temporal, as evidenced by being anxiously ensnared in the daily cares of life; operating in survival mode; slamming an jamming to get and stay ahead of the rat pack. 
Or on the eternal:  Living joyfully and  expectantly for the day when I will be released into his eternal presence? “You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.” (Vs. 16:11)  (See Act. 2:28; 1 Cor. 13:12; 2 Cor. 4:16-18; 1 Jn. 3:2)

This week may you experience His grace, peace and protection!

R. Dwight Hill

No comments: