Friday, August 26, 2011

DISCERNING GOD’S CALL ON MY LIFE


"THE FACTS OF THE MATTER"
"A weekly letter of encouragement to business and professional men and women"

Good Morning!

DISCERNING GOD’S  CALL ON MY LIFE
Discerning the will and calling of God on our lives can be one of the most challenging areas in the life of a believer.  I remember having lunch with a highly respected pastor who confided that he was struggling with discerning the will of God. I remember thinking, “Good grief, if he has these questions, where does that leave me?”
Consider St. Paul’s strong emphasis on knowing the will of God:  “Look carefully then how you walk! Live purposefully and worthily and accurately, not as the unwise and witless, but as wise (sensible, intelligent people), Making the very most of the time [buying up each opportunity], because the days are evil. Therefore do not be vague and thoughtless and foolish, but understanding and firmly grasping what the will of the Lord is.”  (Eph. 5:14-17 – Amp.)
Below are some questions that may help you clarify God’s will and calling for your life: +
1.       What do I want to accomplish with my life? (See Jn. 4:34; 17:4; Act. 20:24; 2 Tim. 4:7,8)
2.       What are my spiritual gifts, natural talents, learned abilities?  (See Rom. 12:6-8; I Cor. 12:1-11, 28-31; 14:1-40; I Pet. 4:10, 11).
3.       What are my limitations, weaknesses, needs and issues?  (See Rom. 12:3; I Cor. 15:10)
4.       What is my capacity in terms of work, time, emotional and physical health?
5.       What phase of ministering to others am I most interested in? 
6.       What results has God given in my past ministry to people?  What results is God giving in my preset ministry to others?
7.       What ministry skills and training do I have?  To do what?
8.       What ministry needs exist in my context which I can meet?
9.       What are my personal development needs?  And how do I plan to address them?
10.   What indications do I have from God regarding His specific leading and call?
·         Past history of fruitful ministries.
·         Promises/verses or passages from the Word of God.
·         Peace of heart.
·         Where to minister; to whom; with whom.
11.   What burden or passion do I have for serving God?  To what? To whom? When?
12.   What affirmations do I have from others regarding their assessment of my areas of strength or specialty?
13.   What can hinder me from responding positively to God’s personal call on my life?
14.   With all that’s been happening in my life, how is God defining ministry for me?

+ Adapted from NavNews “What is your personal call?” - A newsletter of the Navigators Singapore – 12/02/2007

This week may you experience His grace, peace and protection! 

R. Dwight Hill 

Facts of the Matter © 2000 - 2011 R. Dwight Hill - www.factsofthematter.org - Unlimited permission to copy without altering text or profiteering is hereby granted subject to inclusion of this copyright notice.

No comments: