Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in Reflection

2011 was a very TOUGH year for me. Few realise it but God knows.

At the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011, I had informed my then CPU leader, FF in an email that I would probably be away a few Friday nights for work. I had already anticipated the busyness of training a new staff, doing back-to-back audit engagements, going for regional meetings/conferences and also being involved in regional audits overseas.

JAN
Attended a few prayer meetings at LSBC which were in preparation for the new thing.
Went KL for Regional IA Conference & Teammate training. 3 days.
2 audits completed.

FEB
2 days in Bangkok for Regional ICP Conference.
Another 2 audits completed.


MAR
5 day mission trip to Timor-Leste
Completed 2 audits, 1 special FTS certification.
Joined in Regional audit of RHC Actuarial (in Spore)
Last 2 weeks of March were busy, busy in office and also busy preparing for start of peak period for integrated ICP & IA from April - Sept 2011. But in 2011, peak started in March 2011 for me!

APR
Peak period continued from end-March. Whole month at SGX. Another 2 audits completed + Part of ICP Premium Cycle testing.
Participated in Run350 (10km) with Timothy Chan.

MAY
3 audits completed. Completion of 2 Premium Cycles testing.
Participated in PAssion Run (12km) and Sundown (21km).

JUNE
Completed 2 audits despite 1 week leave.
Attended Church camp in KL

JUL
Completed 2 audits + 3 Reinsurance Cycles ICP testing.

AUG
Completed 2 audits.
Participated in Vietnam Reinsurance audit in Hanoi.
Attended mGRC Task force meeting in Bangkok (2 days)

SEP
Urgent leave. Poh Poh suddenly passed away 1 month before her 102nd b'day.
Missed company D&D although costume rented. Missed SAFRA Bay Run (10km)
Completed 1 audit, Finance Cycle & Residual IT controls testing.
Peak period officially over and managed to confirm completin of 11 Cycle testing by 30 Sep 2011 by only God's grace.

OCT
Flew back home together with 1 week leave.
Completed systems and Information Security audit

NOV
Finished 2 audits and supervised/reviewed 1 audit.
Participated in Regional Branch audit of Hong Kong's Macau Branch.
1st time to Macau and bungee from Macau Tower. highest bungee at 322m. Also visited The Venetian and tasted some nice portugese food
Ran the north-East Run (14km) less than 8 hours after return from Hong Kong close to midnight. Tiredness and fatigue saw me finishing in bottom 10% >.<
Prepared annual risk assessment and 2012 annual plan.

DEC
Took part in SCMS (21km). Route was horrible with massive jams on Sentosa Island and I lost my race bib at the crowded water point after exiting Sentosa Island.
Family holidays in Taiwan.
Completed another audit and finished retesting for multiple cycles deficiencies.
Completed 1 Year YouVersion Chronological Reading Plan and the Life Application Study Bible daily devotion on YouVersion. HS did tell me my feeling of relief in completion means I have not enjoyed and invested more time in completing the reading and more often than not, I had usually read it to completed the reading schedule than read to absorb His truth for my soul. ("Ouch! The truth hurts!")

Honestly, I am relieved the year 2012 is over.
There were days when I stare at the mirror in my office toilet and see nothing, blank. There were times I rushed and felt my blood pressure exploding as I rushed for exit meeting or some meeting or deadline.There was a night or two I was in the office at night and felt like crying.

2011 was for me the busiest and most stressful year in my working life. No question about it. My 2011 Audit Plan is the busiest in the Asia region considering there were only 2 auditors in Singapore and I had 21 audits and 11 ICP Cycles - literally auditing 2 companies in 1 year and I completed 99% of my plan with one postponed because CEO was hospitalised and could not be audited/interviewed.

Many nights I thank God for his strength, wisdom, answered prayer, guidance, favour, provision for without which, I can never come through with audit planning, fieldwork, reviewing work papers, drafting reports, discussions, meetings, emails after emails, reports after reports.

There is hope expressed by some of my bosses (including directors) than I won't have to work so hard or so late in 2012. They given me another staff and she's coming in Jan 2012 although with only 2 years experience in PwC and need to train her in IA and Insurance Operations. Next year's Plan is also 'lighter' with only 15 audits planned and less integrated audits (internal audits + ICP testing in 5 days of fieldwork) + headcount of 3.

Spiritual wise, I will start the year with no cell group. Not being convinced that the Journey Planner will work and besides, every year you set spiritual goals and 5 years down the road, it becomes irrelevant or impossible or a yoke around the neck. If DJ Cell is another name for a CG cell or CPU, then why have the whole SDC thing? If this is to make LSBC another name (we are known by some as the CP Church), then becoming famous leading to future manuals or books and seminars on Simple Discipleship Church is I think more flesh than spirit. We already have CP Handbook and did many rounds of CP Conferences. So, I guess, in future, we'll see LSBC being the leader for SDC. Should we be concerned? I've written my concerns via emails to church pastor, sounded out to some leaders and members and also emailed my Senior Pastor (SP). SP promised a response after the DJ team has considered my feedback but there is none thus far. Nevertheless, if I feel marginalised for not being part of a DJ cell, I will leave LSBC in 2012. Senior Pastor keep saying that won't be the case, but we'll see how as actions speak louder than words. I wonder if I should attend tomorrow's 1 Jan 2012 SDC launch which will focus on SDC - so if you're not in SDC Cell, then how? In all things, my Jehovah shall be my Source and Shield.

So, 2012 will be an interesting year work-wise and spiritual and church-wise.

No comments: