Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Look at the Son

Max Lucado
Tuesday, January 27, 2009

“Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.” Hebrews 12:1-2

More mornings than not I drag myself out of bed and onto the street…I run because I don’t like cardiologists. Since heart disease runs in our family, I run in our neighborhood. As the sun is rising, I am running. And as I am running, my body is groaning. It doesn’t want to cooperate. My knee hurts. My hip is stiff. My ankles complain.

Things hurt. And as things hurt, I’ve learned I have three options. Go home. (Denalyn would laugh at me.) Meditate on my hurts until I start imagining I’m having chest pains. (Pleasant thought.) Or I can keep running and watch the sun come up…

If I watch God’s world go from dark to golden, guess what? The same happens to my attitude. The pain passes and the joints loosen…

Everything improves as I fix my eyes on the sun.Wasn’t that the counsel of the Hebrew epistle—“looking unto Jesus?”

No comments: